flink-dev mailing list archives

From Kostas Kloudas <k.klou...@data-artisans.com>
Subject Re: ListState to List
Date Thu, 18 May 2017 09:48:32 GMT
Hi Radu,

Why not using a ValueState that inside stored the whole list.
Whenever you state#get() you get the whole list and you can sort it.

Kostas

> On May 18, 2017, at 3:31 AM, Radu Tudoran <radu.tudoran@huawei.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Aljoscha,
>
> Thanks for the clarification. I understand that there might be advantages in some cases
not to have the List-like interface, while in other scenarios (like the one I described there
aren't). Considering this, why not having 2 type of states: ListState and StreamInListState
- users would use the one it is more appropriate. What do you think?

not be possible to provide a List-like interface. There might be state backends that stream
in the list from somewhere else or other restrictions. If we now allowed a more general interface
here we would possibly prevent optimisations in the future or make certain implementations
very hard to to efficiently.

> Best,
> Aljoscha
>
>> On 16. May 2017, at 21:56, Radu Tudoran <radu.tudoran@huawei.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to work with ListState, more specifically I would need to access the
contents and sort them. For this I would need a collection type (e.g., the List, Array...).
>> However, I see that if I have a variable of type <<ListState state=..>>
the only interfaces I have are:
>> state.get -> which returns an Iterable Or state.get.getIterator which
>> returns an Iterator
>>
>> Basically if I use any of these I need now to copy the contents in an actual List
of Array.  Is there any way to avoid this? ..perhaps there is an implicit type that I can
convert to...