flink-dev mailing list archives

From "Luis Alves" <lmtjal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Resource overallocation
Date Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:39:37 GMT
Hi Till,

Thanks for your answer. It did helped me validating some of my thoughts.

Cheers,

Luís

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 at 09:26 Till Rohrmann

<
mailto:Till Rohrmann <trohrmann@apache.org>
> wrote:

a, pre, code, a:link, body { word-wrap: break-word !important; }

Hi Luis,

let me try to answer some of your questions:

Usually we recommend to reserve for each slot at least one CPU core. One

reason why you would want to reserve more slots than cores is that you

execute blocking operations in your operators. That way you can keep all of

your cores busy.

If you observe that your application cannot keep up with the incoming data

rate, then it is usually best to increase the parallelism (given that the

bottleneck is not an operator with parallelism 1 and that your data has

enough key values).

If you have multiple compute intensive operators in one pipeline (maybe

even chained) and you have fewer cores than these operators per slot, then

it might make sense to split up the pipeline. That way the computation of

these operators can be better done concurrently.

Theoretically, it can be the case that you assign more resources to a slot

than are actually needed. E.g. you have a single operator in each slot but

multiple cores assigned to it. Also in case of different parallelism of

operators, some slots might get more sub-tasks assigned than others. One

thing you can always do is to monitor the execution of your job to detect

under and over-provisioning.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

Cheers,

Till