flink-dev mailing list archives

From Dmytro Shkvyra <Dmytro_Shkv...@epam.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Could we Improve tests time and stability?
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 16:06:31 GMT
Hi everyone,
May be we should remove -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit option from maven-surefire-plugin args and
increase -Xmx to 1536m for forks?
We have about 4 GB RAM and 2 cores at test VMs. I think we can make test faster than now.
When I tried testing flink-runtime some tests work too slow due to GC overhead.
May be you also faced to problem when Travis build was fallen by timeout?
Also we can use GC algorithms explicitly for forks execution.
BTW, we run tests with java 7 and 8 and these versions use by default different GC algorithms
(GC1 for 8 and Parallel GC for 7). IMHO when we have strict limitations of RAM and time of
build we should avoid any ambiguity.
In case when some tests can generate very big datasets very fast, paralel GC can do not have
time to clean up. I do not know how G1 work in this case exactly, but may be would better
use old good -XX:+UseSerialGC. We have only 1 core per fork so we anyway cant use all advantages
of G1 and ParralelGC. If we use SerialGC (use stop the world) we can be sure that GC collect
almost all garbage before test continue.
What do you think about my idea?
May be someone has another ideas how to improve tests time and stability?

Dmytro Shkvyra
Senior Software Engineer

Office: +380 44 390 5457<tel:+380%2044%20390%205457> x 65346<tel:65346>   Cell:
+380 50 357 6828<tel:+380%2050%20357%206828>   Email: dmytro_shkvyra@epam.com<mailto:dmytro_shkvyra@epam.com>
Kyiv, Ukraine (GMT+3)   epam.com<http://www.epam.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER
This message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it
is addressed and contains information that is legally privileged and confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited. All unintended recipients are obliged to delete
this message and destroy any printed copies.