flink-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Olson <jo4...@outlook.com>
Subject Future of Queryable State Feature
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:33:36 GMT
I have a question regarding the future direction of the queryable state feature.

We are current using this feature in production implemented in a RichFlatMap. It is doing
what we need it to do at the scale we need it done in, with the resources we have assigned
to it. Win.

However, we'd also like to use this feature in conjunction with Flink's windowing. The "Rich"
execution environment is not exposed in any of the windows / triggers / apply hierarchy, so
we cannot expose any of the state managed within the windows outside of Flink. Many of our
use cases require us to have access to values as they are being accumulated, as well as the
aggregated result.

We can get by with the RichFlatMap for now. I'd like some clarification as to whether or not
the queryable state feature is going to be extended to the windowing components for the next
milestone release. This will determine our Flink development milestones for the next few months.
From consulting the open items in JIRA, it does not look like it is on the docket.

I'd be more than willing to help out implementing this feature, but I don't think I have the
experience to submit this change on my own.