flink-dev mailing list archives

From Fabian Hueske <fhue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] FLIP-13 Side Outputs in Flink
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2016 19:28:48 GMT
Hi Chen,

thanks for this interesting proposal. I think side output would be a very
valuable feature to have!

I went of the FLIP and have a few questions.

- Will multiple side outputs of the same type be supported?
- If I got it right, the FLIP proposes to change the signatures of many
user-defined functions (FlatMapFunction, WindowFunction, ...). Most of
these interfaces/classes are annotated with @Public, which means we cannot
change them in the Flink 1.x release line. What would be alternatives? I
can think of a) casting the Collector into a RichCollector (as you do in
your prototype) or b) retrieve the RichCollector from the RuntimeContext
that a RichFunction provides.

I'm not so familiar with the internals of the DataStream API, so I leave
comments on that to other.

Best, Fabian