flink-dev mailing list archives

From Fabian Hueske <fhue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [DISCUSS] how choose Scala and Java
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 06:32:57 GMT
The Java and Scala APIs are organized in different Maven modules and the
Scala APIs are based on the respective Java API.
The benefit of this design is to keep Scala dependencies out of the Java
APIs which is requested by many users.

The Java and Scala counterparts of the DataSet and DataStream APIs are
mostly similar, but differ in some details.
For instance, the Scala APIs support Scala Lambda functions and Scala
Tuples and case classes which are not available in Java.

Last but probably most importantly, the Flink community committed itself to
API backward compatibility for all 1.x releases.
Any major API changes could only be done in a 2.x release.

Best, Fabian