flink-dev mailing list archives

From Till Rohrmann <trohrm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Web dashboard binaries and licensing
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 15:37:40 GMT
I talked to Stephan and he pointed out that the flink-dist binary file,
which is Flink's fat jar, is not part of the official Flink release. We do
offer to download this file as part of a zip file from the Flink website.
However, this is only for convenience. In contrast to that, other binary
files, such as the jars which are released on maven-central, are part of
the official release. Consequently, these files must contain appropriate
LICENSE and NOTICE files. If I remember correctly, then this is relevant
for modules which shade dependencies away, because the shaded dependency is
then contained in the jar.

That was also the reason why we removed the license entries for all the
dependencies contained in flink-dist. Given that this reasoning is sound,
we can keep the LICENSE and NOTICE file as it is modulo the changes we
introduced between Flink 1.0 and 1.1.