flink-dev mailing list archives

From Maximilian Michels <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Web dashboard binaries and licensing
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:13:52 GMT
Hi Till,

Thanks for checking the licenses for our web frontend.

I think the reason why we added a big binary Javascript blob into our
repository was that it was easiest for most developers to deal with.
We don't have much Javascript expertise in the Flink community.
Incorporating the web frontend in the build process would require some
additional work and make it even more complicated. It this sense the
solution we have currently is quite nice because it doesn't require
developers to fiddle around with Javascript as long as they are not
working on the webfrontend. If they do, they can simply use NPM and
Bower which install the listed dependencies. The disadvantage is a
slight increase of our repository because we commit a new "vendor.js"
for every recompile, but that is negligible in my opinion.

It would be cleaner to build the Javascript parts in the Maven build
process but it will complicate the build process further. Frankly, I
don't see it'll add much value. Considering the fragility of our build
system I might be a bit conservative here :)

Cheers,
Max