flink-dev mailing list archives

From Maciek Próchniak <...@touk.pl>
Subject Re: Advice - Drools in Flink
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 19:00:20 GMT
Hi,

I've been using drools in a few projects. Embedding Drools in Flink is
certainly possible, however there are a few points you have to consider.
- are you going to use Drools in stateful or stateless way? The blog
post you mention uses flink in stateless way - that is, each event is
processed separately and
each drools session behaves like a bunch of if's. This is
straightforward, it also shouldn't be problematic performance wise
OTOH, if you want to use stateful sessions things are getting more
complicated - because if you want to play well with Flink you'd have to
integrate drools sessions with checkpoints in Flink - and that can be a
bit more tricky (although certainly possible) - especially when it comes
to size of session, partitioning and so on.
Even more difficult would be to use Drools CEP features - because then
you'd have to consider how to handle time (e.g. during restore??).
To be honest, I wouldn't try to integrate Drools CEP with Flink - Flink
has it's own time handling, own CEP engine and mixing those two can lead
to tricky issues...

Even if you decide to use stateless sessions there's issue with
deployment. If you don't want to redeploy Flink process each time one of
the users change rules, you'd have to implement some notion of detecting
changes (and storing rules somewhere?) and recompiling rules on each
task manager. Again - this is certainly doable and possible, but
requires some thinking about the design.

To sum up - there are many ways you can integrate drools with flink. I'd
start with something simple - exactly as Robert wrote
hope this helps a bit and good luck,

maciek