flink-dev mailing list archives

From "Wright, Eron" <ewri...@live.com>
Subject Installing Flink with Homebrew
Date Sun, 08 May 2016 20:38:44 GMT
Hi,

I submitted a PR to the homebrew <http://brew.sh/> project (Mac’s unofficial package
manager) to add a formula for installing Flink 1.0.2.
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/968 <https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/968>

This will simplify installation on Mac.  Here’s the typical flow:

$ brew info apache-flink
apache-flink: stable 1.0.2, HEAD
Scalable batch and stream data processing
https://flink.apache.org/
Not installed
From: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/apache-flink.rb

$ brew install apache-flink
==> Downloading https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua?path=flink/flink-1.0.2/flink-1.0.2-bin-hadoop26-scala_2.10.tgz
Already downloaded: /Library/Caches/Homebrew/apache-flink-1.0.2.tgz
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/apache-flink/1.0.2: 88 files, 89.9M, built in 4 seconds

$ flink --version
Version: 1.0.2, Commit ID: d39af15

I made the somewhat arbitrary choice to use Scala 2.10 and Hadoop 2.6 for consistency with
the apache-spark formula.   In future the formula may be parameterized to allow the user to
decide.

I chose to add only the `flink`, `pyflink2.sh`, and `pyflink3.sh` commands to the system path.
 I felt that the names of the other bin scripts are too vague (`start-local.sh`, etc) to be
on the system path.    I considered `flink-daemon` but was unsure it is a documented tool.

There’s still a chance to change the PR before it is merged.   Of course we can change it
further with 1.0.3.

Enjoy,
Eron Wright