flink-dev mailing list archives

From "Wright, Eron" <ewri...@live.com>
Subject Re: Installing Flink with Homebrew
Date Sun, 08 May 2016 23:58:57 GMT
Update: I filed FLINK-3883 to improve the names of the shell scripts for inclusion on the system
path.   Pending a discussion on that, I adjusted the formula PR to place only the `flink`
command on the path (not the pyflink commands).

Reflecting a bit, I don’t think the various server scripts (flink-daemon.sh, start-cluster.sh,
etc.) belong on the system path.

Eron

> On May 8, 2016, at 1:38 PM, Wright, Eron <ewright@live.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I submitted a PR to the homebrew <http://brew.sh/> project (Mac’s unofficial
package manager) to add a formula for installing Flink 1.0.2.
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/968 <https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/968>
>
> This will simplify installation on Mac.  Here’s the typical flow:
>
> $ brew info apache-flink
> apache-flink: stable 1.0.2, HEAD
> Scalable batch and stream data processing
> https://flink.apache.org/
> Not installed
> From: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/apache-flink.rb
>
> $ brew install apache-flink
> ==> Downloading https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua?path=flink/flink-1.0.2/flink-1.0.2-bin-hadoop26-scala_2.10.tgz
> Already downloaded: /Library/Caches/Homebrew/apache-flink-1.0.2.tgz
> 🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/apache-flink/1.0.2: 88 files, 89.9M, built in 4 seconds
>
> $ flink --version
> Version: 1.0.2, Commit ID: d39af15
>
> I made the somewhat arbitrary choice to use Scala 2.10 and Hadoop 2.6 for consistency
with the apache-spark formula.   In future the formula may be parameterized to allow the user
to decide.

> I chose to add only the `flink`, `pyflink2.sh`, and `pyflink3.sh` commands to the system
path.  I felt that the names of the other bin scripts are too vague (`start-local.sh`, etc)
to be on the system path.    I considered `flink-daemon` but was unsure it is a documented
tool.