flink-dev mailing list archives

From Ufuk Celebi <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Removing Non-Keyed WindowOperator
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:06:09 GMT
I'm not too familiar with this part of Flink, but your arguments
certainly make sense.

Are there any performance differences to be expected?

– Ufuk

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Aljoscha Krettek <aljoscha@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I opened a Jira Issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3614
>
> This is the text of the issue:
> I propose to remove the special Non-Keyed Window Operator and implement non-parallel
windows by using the standard WindowOperator with a dummy KeySelector.

> Maintaining everything for two WindowOperators is a huge burden. The implementation is
completely separate by now. For example, the Non-Keyed window operator does not use the StateBackend
for state, i.e. cannot use RocksDB. Also, with upcoming changes (Merging/Session windows,
aligned windows) this will only increase the maintenance burden.