flink-dev mailing list archives

From Chesnay Schepler <ches...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [streaming, scala] Scala DataStream#addSink returns Java DataStreamSink
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:37:56 GMT
On 13.03.2016 12:14, Robert Metzger wrote:
> I think its too early to fork off a 2.0 branch. I have absolutely no idea
> when a 2.0 release becomes relevant, could be easily a year from now.
at first i was going to agree with Robert, but then...I mean the issue
with not allowing breaking changes
is that effectively this means we won't work on these issues until 2.0
comes around. Since otherwise,
the contributor would have to stash that change themselves in their own
repository for god-knows how long.
Chances are that work will go to waste anyway because they forget /
delete it.

having a central place (not necessarily a separate branch, maybe a repo
with a separate branch for every commit)
where we can stash this work could prove useful; instead of starting to
work on these issues all at once for 2.0,
we could save some work by only having to rebase them in one way or another.

> And for tracking API breaking changes, maybe it makes sense to create a
> 2.0.0 version in JIRA and set the "fix-for" for the issue to 2.0.
+1 for adding a 2.0.0 version tag/. /This is the perfect use-case for it.//