flink-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>
Subject Scala no-parenthesis methods on DataStream
Date Sun, 17 Jan 2016 20:23:30 GMT
Hi all!

I just noticed that all Scala DataStream methods like "rebalance",
"broadcast", "shuffle", etc are defined without parenthesis.

I am a bit puzzled about this. Even though these methods do not modify the
DataStream object on which they are called, they define for example a
distributed shuffle, which makes them not really side effect free.

I would define them with parenthesis. If we decide to do this, and since
this is API breaking, we should do it before 1.0

Greetings,
Stephan

PS: I suspect that this comes from the fact that IntelliJ has the annoying
behavior to define all methods with empty parenthesis by default as
no-parenthesis methods.