flink-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Lee <edward.da....@gmail.com>
Subject Why does Flink copy code from Spark?
Date Sun, 27 Dec 2015 07:51:45 GMT
Lately I have been studying the source code to understand the internals.
One thing that really surprised me was that a lot of code throughout Flink
was very similar to Spark.

Open source projects learn from each other and apply similar ideas.
However, I am not talking about applying similar ideas. I am talking about
literal copy of code. Many files seemed like they were created by
copy-pasting code directly from Spark and then renaming the variable names
to avoid looking identical.

As I study more, I find "copy-pasted" code throughout Flink, from actors to
machine learning to analyzer to code generation. A few files have
attribution, but most of them do not.

I thought Flink was more advanced. Why?