flink-dev mailing list archives

From "Kirschnick, Johannes" <johannes.kirschn...@tu-berlin.de>
Subject AW: [DISCUSSION] Type hints versus TypeInfoParser
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2015 18:33:12 GMT
Hi Stephan,

looking at the TypeHint, I got reminded on how Gson (a Json Parser) handles this situation
of parsing generics.

See here for an overview
https://sites.google.com/site/gson/gson-user-guide#TOC-Serializing-and-Deserializing-Generic-Types

Seems like this method was rediscovered :) And maybe there are some tricks that can be learned
from the implementation

I'm all in favor for "hard" types over string literals.

Johannes

P.S.
Apparently GWT uses the same "trick" to handle generics ...

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ewenstephan@gmail.com [mailto:ewenstephan@gmail.com] Im Auftrag von Stephan Ewen
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 11. November 2015 15:53
An: dev@flink.apache.org
Betreff: [DISCUSSION] Type hints versus TypeInfoParser

Hi all!

We discovered a nice way to give TypeHints in the Google Cloud Dataflow SDK, in a way that
would fit Flink perfectly. I created a JIRA for that:

Since this is more powerful and type safe than the String/Parser way of giving hints, I was
wondering whether we should add this and deprecate the String variant. If we do that, 1.0
is the time to do that.

What do you think about this idea?

@Timo Walther Since you worked a lot on types/parser/etc - what is your take on this?

Greetings,