flink-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Function input type validation
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2015 09:04:56 GMT
I think this originally comes from the fact that we need to match the input
TypeInfo against the generic signature, for example to figure out what "T"
means in a MapFunction<Tuple2<T, Long>, T>.
That is the reason why Flink can support generic functions even though
there is type erasure at runtime.

Much nice than nullable types is to use Option[Type] for a field that may
be null. In Scala, the OptionTypeInfo adds a null/not-null byte, which is
probably what your custom nullable type also does. By adding this for Java
(with Java 8 options, or a custom option type) would solve that issue as
well. It would also let us retain the benefit that non-nullable fields are
efficiently serialized.