flink-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
Subject Question about TypeInformation in DataSet
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:02:17 GMT
Hi,

I changed the WordCount example as below and I am wondering, why this
does not work. Looking at the Flink internal implemenation, it make
sense that it fails. However, from an API point of view it should work.
Is this a bug or do I miss understand the semantic of .returns(...)?

The change is about type inference and generics. I removed the generic
type information in tokenizer and provide the output type via
returns(...) methods. Whoever, I get an exception (see below).

Tokenizer is change to this (removed generics and added cast to String):

> public static final class Tokenizer implements FlatMapFunction {
> 	public void flatMap(Object value, Collector out) {
> 		String[] tokens = ((String) value).toLowerCase().split("\\W+");
> 		for (String token : tokens) {
> 			if (token.length() > 0) {
> 				out.collect(new Tuple2<String, Integer>(token, 1));
> 			}
> 		}
> 	}
> }

I added call to "returns(....)" here:

> DataSet<Tuple2<String, Integer>> counts =
>   text.flatMap(new Tokenizer()).returns("Tuple2<String,Integer>")
>   .groupBy(0).sum(1);

The exception is:

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The types of the interface
org.apache.flink.api.common.functions.FlatMapFunction could not be inferred. Support for synthetic
interfaces, lambdas, and generic types is limited at this point.
> 	at org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.getParameterType(TypeExtractor.java:686)
> 	at org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.getParameterTypeFromGenericType(TypeExtractor.java:710)
> 	at org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.getParameterType(TypeExtractor.java:673)
> 	at org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.privateCreateTypeInfo(TypeExtractor.java:365)
> 	at org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.getUnaryOperatorReturnType(TypeExtractor.java:279)
> 	at org.apache.flink.api.java.typeutils.TypeExtractor.getFlatMapReturnTypes(TypeExtractor.java:120)
> 	at org.apache.flink.api.java.DataSet.flatMap(DataSet.java:262)
> 	at org.apache.flink.examples.java.wordcount.WordCount.main(WordCount.java:69)

-Matthias