flink-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
Subject [DISCUSS] Unifying client code
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2015 14:45:16 GMT
Hi,

I just had a look into CliFrontend and Client and it seems to me, that
there is no uniform design.

For example, CliFrontend uses Client to execute "run" and "info"
command. However, for "cancel" and "list" it does not (because
org.apache.flink.client.program.Client) lacks those methods.

I would recommend to extend Client and adapt CliFrontend.

There is already a pull request for "cancel":
https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/642
However, this PR does not adapt CliFrontend and I am not sure if it will
be finished at all. A three week old discussion resulted in no progress.

In the current pull request for the new STOP signal, there is also some
mess with this regard. CliFrontend does not use Client.stop() -> I will
update this soon (this issues was the trigger to discover this "mess"),
or include those changes into this work (if we start it).

Additionally, we might want to uniform WebClient and job manager
WebFrontend, too. I have an open PR that changed WebClient to use
CliFrontend to avoid code duplication. But now, this seems not the right
way to go. JobManagerInfoServlet duplicate this code, too.

I think Client should be the unique class that offers methods for all
request and is used by all other clients.

What do you think about this?

-Matthias