flink-dev mailing list archives

From Ufuk Celebi <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SQL on Flink
Date Wed, 27 May 2015 16:06:43 GMT

On 27 May 2015, at 17:05, Timo Walther <twalthr@apache.org> wrote:

> It's rather passion for the future of the project than passion for SQL ;-)
>
> I always try to think like someone from the economy. And IMO the guys from economy are
still thinking in SQL. If you want to persuade someone coming from the SQL world, you should
offer a SQL interface to run legacy code first (similar to Hadoop operators). Rewriting old
queries in Table API is not very convenient.

> I share Stephans opinion. Building both APIs concurrently would act as a good source
to test and extend the Table API. Currently, the Table API is half-done, but I think the goal
is to have SQL functionality. I can implement an SQL operator and extend the Table API if
functionality is missing.

Very exiting! :-) +1

As suggested, I think the best thing is to do this hand-in-hand with the Table API. I don't
think that there was any real disagreement. Everyone agrees that the SQL layer should be built
on top of the Table API, which is great for both the Table API and the SQL layer. :-)