flink-dev mailing list archives

From Paris Carbone <par...@kth.se>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re-add record copy to chained operator calls
Date Wed, 20 May 2015 09:17:46 GMT
I guess it was not intended ^^.

Chaining should be transparent and not break the correct/expected behaviour.

Paris?

On 20 May 2015, at 11:02, Márton Balassi <mbalassi@apache.org> wrote:

+1 for copying.
On May 20, 2015 10:50 AM, "Gyula Fóra" <gyfora@apache.org> wrote:

Hey,

The latest streaming operator rework removed the copying of the outputs
before passing them to chained operators. This is a major break for the
previous operator semantics which guaranteed immutability.

I think this change leads to very indeterministic program behaviour from
the user's perspective as only non-chained outputs/inputs will be mutable.
If we allow this to happen, users will start disabling chaining to get
immutability which defeats the purpose. (chaining should not affect program
behaviour just increase performance)

In my opinion the default setting for each operator should be immutability
and the user could override this manually if he/she wants.

What do you think?

Regards,
Gyula