flink-dev mailing list archives

From Fabian Hueske <fhue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] Sort Key Types
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 08:01:49 GMT
Regular keys differ from sort keys in that they can be (somehow) sorted,
but their order is not necessarily "intuitive". So regular keys are
sufficient for sort-based grouping, but not for explicit sorting
(groupSort, partitionSort, outputSort).

Right now, this difference is only relevant for POJOs. Since the order of
POJO fields is not (well) defined and they are ordered based on all their
fields, the resulting order is not well defined either.
We can add support for sorting POJOs if these implement Comparable or
somehow define the order of their fields (as proposed in FLINK-1665)