flink-dev mailing list archives

From Dulaj Viduranga <vidura...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: About FLINK-1537 Machine learning with Apache Flink
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 15:55:05 GMT
Hi,
I would really like to know what are your high priority GSoC projects and that is it possible
for me to have one to contribute this summer.
I’ve played around and went through the flink system sources and I’m really interested
in contributing to this project.
I was interested in working on [FLINK-1537] Machine learning with Apache Flink project for
GSoC, becase I have a past neural networks knowledge. But I see it is a Minor priority one.
I'm wondering if you could help me to select a good high priority project.

Thank you.

> On Feb 20, 2015, at 10:33 PM, Till Rohrmann <trohrmann@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Good to hear.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Till
>
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM, Dulaj Viduranga <vidura.me@icloud.com <mailto:vidura.me@icloud.com>>
wrote:
> Great. I have already started to go through documentation. I’ll follow your directions
and contact you when I’m up and ready. :)

> Best regards.
> Dulaj
>

>> On Feb 19, 2015, at 10:49 PM, Till Rohrmann <trohrmann@apache.org <mailto:trohrmann@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Hi Dulaj,
>>
>> first of all, sorry for my late reply.
>>
>> Yes, we're definitely making the "Machine learning with Apache Flink" a GSoC project
and it's great to hear that you are interested in this topic. At the moment, I'm about to
set Flink's machine learning library up with some basic algorithms. There is still some work
to do in order to figure out in which direction it should finally head. But we are confident
that we can provide a highly usable and still performant tool for many data scientists.

>> Implementing algorithms with Apache Flink is a little bit different from regular
programming, because the programming model is a little bit more restrictive. Therefore, I'd
recommend to familiarize yourself a little bit with the system by by reading the documentation
[1], going through the example jobs contained in the repo [2] and maybe even try to implement
one job yourself. That is the best way to understand Flink.

>> The next step would be try to tackle down one of the starter issues in order to get
to know how the community works and to become visible for the community. You can find the
starter issues here [3].

>> Afterwards we can brainstorm a little bit what you could do in the context of the
GSoC project so that we can make a proposal.

>> It would be great, but not strictly required, to have some knowledge of Scala, because
some of the machine learning library will probably be implemented in Scala.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Till
>>
>> [1] http://flink.apache.org/docs/0.8/index.html <http://flink.apache.org/docs/0.8/index.html>
>> [2] https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/master/flink-examples <https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/master/flink-examples>
>> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1582?jql=project%20%3D%20FLINK%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20Starter
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1582?jql=project%20%3D%20FLINK%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20Starter>

>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Dulaj Viduranga <vidura.me@icloud.com <mailto:vidura.me@icloud.com>>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>         I'm Dulaj Viduranga and I’m a 3rd year Computer Science and Engineering
student at University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
>>         I’m really interested about "Machine learning with Apache Flink” Project
and wondering if you are planing to make this a GSoC project. I have a 5 years Java experience
and great knowledge and interest about machine learning. I haven’t used Flink or it’s
machine learning library but I have a good experience with pylearn2 python neural network
library and also I have made a neural network with java se from the scratch in my 2nd year.