flink-dev mailing list archives

From Kostas Tzoumas <ktzou...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stale Synchronous Parallel iterations in Flink
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:13:26 GMT
Hi Nam-Luc,

Several of your observations in the blog post are to the point. Iterations
are already pipelined, and the distributed state that the delta iterations
access can be possibly lifted to a parameter server API.

We need to work a bit through the details on how fault tolerance and
termination would work and how the recent refactoring of the runtime to
include intermediate results would play for this. This is feasible, but
will require runtime code.

Simply removing the dams from the iterations can make iterations
asynchronous, but introduces two issues:

(1) How to checkpoint such computations in order to recover them upon
failures.

(2) How to check for the termination of the computation without a sync
barrier. Can the SSP model help with that?

Kostas