flink-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Drafting a roadmap for Flink
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 10:30:58 GMT
Okay, I see what you are going. Some issues have people working on them,
some do not.

How about we add a "responsible person" to the items that have someone in
charge already, and mark others as open?

Associating a responsible person (that need not be the one that does all
the work, but the one that supervises the issue) may be a good idea in
general.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Fabian Hueske <fhueske@apache.org> wrote:

> Having an estimate assigned to an issue might give the impression that it
> is already assigned to somebody.
> This would not help to find external contributors who are interested in
> helping with a certain feature.
>
> Issues without estimates are still useful as they show in which direction
> the project plans to evolve.

> > The Pig Journal is nice, we could have this evolve into something like
> > that.
> >
> > I think that we need to give some time estimate on the features / issues.
> > Otherwise, it is of rather little value - all it says is that people
> > thought about that, no one knows when you can plan with it.
> >
> > We can coarsen the time estimates, though...
> >
> > Stephan
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I very much like the "PIG Journal" here:
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIG/Pig+Journal
> > > Its basically a nice view (however outdated in that case) on whats
> going
> > on
> > > in the PIG community. You can see finished features on the top, current
> > > features being developed in the middle and ideas in the end.
> > >
> > > The document posted by Stephan is a good start to create a "Flink
> > Journal".
> > > I agree with Fabian that the estimates are very optimistic.
> Implementing
> > > all these features including unit tests, documentation and testing a
> > takes
> > > a lot of time.
> > > I would suggest to only add estimates (finish dates) to features which
> > are
> > > currently work in progress.
> > > The remainder ("ideas") can have time estimates in months but should
> not
> > > have finish dates. Similarly to Pig, we should put a disclaimer on top
> > that
> > > we do not guarantee for any feature being developed.

> > Flink,
> > > Batch-Streaming

> > estimates,
> in