flink-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commits for next release
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2014 17:07:53 GMT
Hey!

Good to hear, so we could feature-freeze the 0.8 branch tomorrow or
Wednesday and focus on testing and remaining bug fixes?

The two big pull requests Robert mentioned should not go into 0.8 in my
opinion (and I think Till and Ufuk who created them are on the same page),
because they will probably need a few additional
weeks of continuous testing until we are confident that they are in a
release ready state.

Stephan


On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Márton Balassi <balassi.marton@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Sorry for the late answer. We delayed the fault tolerance issue for 0.9,
> the lambda expression support is here [1] and also contains the refactor on
> serialization (which I wrongly mentioned as type handling). The commit on
> filesystems is also pretty much ready, but I have not tested it on the
> cluster yet. Can push it tomorrow morning. That is all from the streaming
> side that was in question for 0.8.
>
> Would you like to have the major changes Robert mentioned in 0.8?
> (https://github.com/apache/incubator-flink/pull/149,
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-flink/pull/254)
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-flink/pull/256
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Stephan Ewen <sewen@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hey!
> >
> > I sort of agree with Ufuk. Type system rework easily leads to followup
> > issues. I suspect that if we wait for that, there is not going to be a
> > release before Christmas.
> >
> > How essential is that functionality? Is the streaming API fundamentally
> > broken without that, or is it rather a set of features that define the
> next
> > big step? For issues that fall into the first category, let's prioritize
> > and include them. But for issues in the second category, I think it is
> fine
> > to postpone them to the next release (which we may want to do rather soon
> > after).
> >
> > Stephan
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Ufuk Celebi <uce@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Márton Balassi <
> > balassi.marton@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > Ok guys, then I also agree to skip 0.7.1 and go straight for 0.8.0.
> As
> > > for
> > > > the streaming side we would like to finish a couple of features
> > (lambda 8
> > > > support, type handling rework, filesystems i/o support, at least once
> > > fault
> > > > tolerance prototype). I'm confident that we can get most of the
> things
> > > that
> > > > we really want in there done by the end of this week.
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > This sounds like a lot. I can understand that you want as much in a
> > release
> > > as possible though. ;) Would it make sense to reduce this list to the
> > most
> > > important changes and keep the rest for 0.8.1?
> > >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message