flink-dev mailing list archives

From Márton Balassi <mbala...@apache.org>
Subject Project restructure
Date Thu, 25 Dec 2014 17:28:46 GMT
During a recent PR of the streaming scala api [1] arose the issue of
possibly changing the project structure. For the discussion it seems to me
that we should address this as a separate issue. Things to note:

   * According to Stephan for the batch part, there are discussions
to combine the "flink-core", "flink-java" projects, possibly also the
"flink-scala" project. We are starting to see too many interdependencies.
[2]
   * Streaming is currently under flink-addons, but we are positive that
for the next version we can come up with a fairly stable api if needed. We
would like to have it top level eventually.
   * Minor issue to keep in mind: Developing our projects with both scala
and java nature seems a bit flaky at the moment at least for Eclipse. [3]
Proposed solutions are also there, just let us make sure to give new
developers a smooth experience with Flink.

I personally like the following suggestion: [2]

We could, in the next version, go for something like
- flink-core (core and batch, java & scala)
- flink-streaming (java & scala)
- flink-runtime
- ...

Ufuk also +1'd this.

As currently the merge of [1] is blocking further streaming development (it
also contains some refactor) I'd like to merge it asap to where it is
currently (flink-scala), and let us figure out the project restructure
separately. Added a JIRA for the latter. [4] If we choose to restructure
the project it will need a commit anyway.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-flink/pull/275
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-flink/pull/275#issuecomment-68049822
[3]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-flink-dev/201412.mbox/%3CCANC1h_tLtGeOxT-aaA5KR6V4m-Efz8fSN5yKcdX%2B7sjeTdFBEw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Please when replying vote and comment on the restructure and merge
separately.

Best,

Marton