flink-dev mailing list archives

From Aljoscha Krettek <aljos...@apache.org>
Subject Handling Integration of Documentation
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2014 07:45:03 GMT
Hi,
I'm right now rewriting the documentation to unify the Java API/Scala
API parts with tabs to switch between language (mentioned that before,
I know. :D).

The problem is now that the doc is very tightly integrated into the
website. For example, the sidebar of links is part of the website.
(The self contained doc also has the sidebar of links, but if you look
closely you will notice it's slightly different.) It is the same for
the 0.6 doc and the 0.7 doc, which doesn't work well when those two
docs have different pages with differing names.

Would it not be easier to make the documentation completely self
contained (as it already is) and copy the built files into the
website's doc folder. The website would then just have links to the
documentation for the separate versions.

The problem would then be that the documentation doesn't share the
same header as the website anymore. I don't see this as a problem, we
could even move the documentation navigation into the header and out
of the sidebar. Some people might object though.

What do you think? How should we handle this?

Cheers,
Aljoscha