flink-dev mailing list archives

From Henry Saputra <henry.sapu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Community & Committing rules
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2014 16:58:27 GMT
+1 for commits small changes directly, which is the perk of being
committers of open source project.

However, as many people had mentioned, when the changes are none
trivial or requires modification of existing behavior then a pull
request and reviews should be requested to get extra pairs of eyes.

And when it is a new feature or major changes, such as rewrite RPC
flows, then hopefully consensus of plan could achieve via discussions
in dev@ list and with opening JIRA ticket to track the effort.
VOTE should be done when consensus is hard to get and changes are
needed for greater good.

Having official commit rules are like having project bylaws.
I don't think we need bylaws of committing changes at this point,
because it would cause confusion and many existing Apache projects did
not get it right with formal bylaws.

- Henry