flink-dev mailing list archives

From Gyula Fóra <gyula.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Aggregations
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2014 20:30:28 GMT
Hey,

As we were implementing the aggregation operators, we found that the
working logic of the min and max aggregation in the batch API seems a
little strange.

So let's assume that the user only want to make one aggregation at a time,
wouldn't it make more sense to return the element of the dataset which has
the minimal value (or the first one having it) instead of creating a new
element with the minimum value as the field and the other fields taken from
the last data element?

For the sum aggregation this makes sense, but shouldn't min and max
actually return an element of the dataset?

(well of course if you use the .and operator this gets more tricky)

Cheers,
Gyula