flink-dev mailing list archives

From Ufuk Celebi <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Planning Flink release 0.7-incubating
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:53:57 GMT

On 24 Sep 2014, at 18:37, Robert Metzger <rmetzger@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> exactly 3 weeks ago, we discussed to do a feature freeze for the
> 0.7-incubating release today.
>
> From our initial feature list:
> - *Flink Streaming* "Beta Preview". I would suggest to ship the streaming,
> but clearly mark it as a preview in the documentation.
> -* Java API Pojo improvements*: Code generation, key selection using a
> string-expression: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1032
>  - *Reworked Scala API*. Bring the Scala API in sync with the latest
> developments in the Java API:
>  -* Akka-based RPC service*:
>  - *Kryo-based serialization*. This feature has been requested by many
> users. Mostly because they wanted to use Collections inside POJOs:
> - Rework JobManager internals to support incremental program rollout &
> execution
> - First parts of dynamic memory assignments
>
> The following features are in the master, as of today:
> - *Flink Streaming*
> - *Reworked Scala API*
> -* New Scheduler*
>
> We certainly need some days to test everything until we can start the vote.
> Based on our experience with the last major release, I would really like to
> do the testing and bugfixing BEFORE the first release candidate. For the
> 0.6-incubating release, we had 6  candidates)
>
> How do you guys feel about this? Should we wait a few more days for the
> release so that a few more features make it into the release?
>
> I'm undecided on this. On the one hand, its really nice to release on a
> regular schedule, but it also eats up some time and causes overhead
> (different branches etc.).
> I would really like to have the Java API Pojo improvements in the release.
> I think I can finish it until end of this week.
>
> Opinions?

I agree that the finished features (especially the Scala API) are nice for a new release,
but still I would like to wait a few more days.

Some of the missing features are on the brink of being finished (e.g. the Pojo improvements).
I wouldn't want to invest a week in bug fixing and doing the release vote, when the new features
are likely to be finished just a few days afterwards. And the upcoming features will definitely
be worth a release, so users can work with them. ;)