flink-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Metzger <rmetz...@apache.org>
Subject Extend Travis-CI build matrix
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:40:26 GMT
Hi guys,

while creating the 0.6-incubating release I noticed that often build issues
are triggered by changing dependencies.
In particular we allow users to set the version of the Hadoop dependency.

Right now, we test the following variants:

(oraclejdk8, oraclejdk7, openjdk6) x (hadoop 1.2.1, hadoop 2.2.0)

Accidentially, I found out that the recently merged streaming component
does not build with hadoop 2.4.0 as a dependency (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1065).

I'm suggesting to add the following versions into the pool of Hadoop
versions we test against:
1) "hadoop 2.0.0-alpha"
2 "hadoop 2.5.0"

1) is going to be the replacement for the "cdh4" package, and I think we
should test versions we are going to ship with releases. (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-1068)
2) is the current stable hadoop version. I think we should test against
hadoop 2.2.0 and the latest stable hadoop version.

Adding these two versions would result in 3x4 = 12 builds per push / pull
request, which is a lot given that we can only run 5 tests in parallel.
Therefore, I'm suggesting to add just 2 builds with "oraclejdk8" and the
two new hadoop versions.

Opinions?

-- Robert