flink-dev mailing list archives

From Ufuk Celebi <u.cel...@fu-berlin.de>
Subject Re: Guide/ tips to do preferred development for Flink?
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2014 07:29:32 GMT
Hey Henry,

On 21 Jul 2014, at 09:18, Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are your recommended setup to run and develop Flink locally?

I use IntelliJ for day-to-day dev and testing and run everything inside the IDE.

If you want to use real programs to test your code you can use JavaProgramTestBase for local
startup of the system. o.a.flink.test.exampleJavaPrograms.WordCountITCase is a good example
to see how it works.

You can also write tests, which use LocalEnvironment. If you want to use an existing Flink
installation, e.g. in flink-dist/target or remote, you can use the RemoteEnvironment to submit
a JAR.

Does any of this help?

> I have been doing local Flink by going to flink-dist/target/ and run
> Flink from there.
> I was wondering if you guys have preferred way to do Flink development?
> Maybe we could add section about "Developing Flink" in the website?

+1

We had something along those lines a while back for Eclipse and I remember that it was helpful
when I started with the project. Thanks for pointing this out. :-)