flink-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Metzger <rmetz...@apache.org>
Subject Question regarding ICLAs for contributors
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 17:23:49 GMT
Hi,

since we've started incubation, I always though that everybody who
contributes a single line of code to a ASF project has to sign a ICLA (or
coverage through a CCLA).
And in my understanding, this also applies to people who are not committers
(why else is there a huge list of "Unlisted ICLAs" here:
http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html#unlistedclas).

Until now, I asked everybody who contributes to Flink to sign and send a
ICLA to ASF.
But Sebastian Schelter told me today that this is not necessary as only
committers need a filed ICLA.

This page http://www.apache.org/licenses/ states:
"The ASF desires that all contributors of ideas, code, or documentation to
the Apache projects complete, sign, and submit (via postal mail, fax or
email) an Individual Contributor License Agreement".
It also says
"A signed CLA is required to be on file before an individual is given
commit rights to an ASF project."

Can somebody clarify what's actually required.

Robert