flink-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Where to host user-contributed Flink programs?
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2014 23:40:52 GMT
In Pig we created a separate section of the repository (called
piggybank) where we stored user contributed user defined functinos
(UDFs).  The contract was that users needed to provide unit tests so
that as changes were made to Pig the committers could make sure that the
UDFs in piggybank still worked.  Committers weren't responsible for
fixing piggybank code, though if the change was minor they often would.
We distribute piggybank with Pig as a convenience to users.

The downside to this is users can't self-manage it.  It requires a
committer to review and commit people's code.  Though we always kept the
bar quite low (just make sure it has tests and isn't completely nuts).
But still people complained that they had to wait for us to review it.

The upside was that since committers had to review it, it didn't become
a dumping ground.

Alan.

--
Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>