flex-users mailing list archives

From Peter Ent <p...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2017 15:19:12 GMT
The current FlexJS Chart package provides a basic set of charts: bar,
stacked bar, column, stacked column, pie, and line. They are based on List
and use SVG graphics for the item renderers.

There are currently two types of axes: linear and category. To make a
logarithmic axis you could follow the linear axis code.

The way I designed the charts was to make use of layouts. The bar chart,
for example, is composed of one category axis (vertical), one linear axis
(horizontal), and the BarChartLayout. The layout does not actually look at
the axis, it just looks at the data and divides up the space its given and
figures out where the bars should go. The axes also look at the same data
set and figure out their tick marks and labeling.

A logarithmic chart would need to be a bit smarter. Obviously using a
logarithmic scale for the axis or axes, but you would also need a new
layout since the LineChart (or whatever type of chart you want to display)
does not examine the axis beads. I could foresee a change in that chart
layout that does take cues from the axis beads.

Everything is written in ActionScript. Our FlexJS compiler will generate
JavaScript from the ActionScript (and MXML) for you.

I hope this helps give you an idea of the Chart project's current
capabilities. Reply back with more questions.

Regards,
Peter Ent
Adobe Systems/Apache Flex Group