flex-users mailing list archives

From gkk gb <modjkl...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: scoping out FlexJS to replace Flex
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2017 21:03:10 GMT
Thanks Om, Great idea (I already up voted it!) However, I think I read somewhere that putting
a wrapper around a non-FlexJS component would mean that component couldn't be combined with
FlexJS basic (or express?) components on the same screen. Is that true? Since I have a lot
of components on my dashboard, it would probably force me to use all FlexJS or non-FlexJS
components from the start.

> On August 7, 2017 at 11:24 AM OmPrakash Muppirala <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I have created a JIRA here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-35349 for
exploring HighCharts integration in FlexJS.  It does not look terribly hard.  I just need
to find some time to do it.

>     I will keep you posted.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Om
>
>     On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com mailto:harbs.lists@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>         > > I know nothing about LogAxis. I’ve personally never done any apps
which use charts, so I’m not really equipped to comment on them.

> >         My app which I’ve migrated does do a LOT of drawing and it was much less
painful to migrate than I feared.

> >         To figure out how much work it will be to migrate I suggest asking the following
questions:

> >         1. What flash APIs are used? Depending on the answer to that question, you’ll
know how straightforward of a conversion it will be. Some APIs have similar counterparts.
Others less so.
> >         2. What HTML visuals can you use? You need to figure out whether it will
be drawn using HTML elements, SVG, or Canvas. Each of those have their own challenges. FWIW,
we have APIs for drawing to SVG which are very similar to the Flash Graphic APIs.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj >

> >         > On Aug 7, 2017, at 6:05 PM, gkk gb <modjklist@comcast.net mailto:modjklist@comcast.net
> wrote:
> >         >
> >         > Thanks for the detailed answers Harbs.
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > Regarding the 'classic Flex chart components' comment, are you hinting
that ActionScript's LogAxis can likely be migrated to FlexJS? My app is built using LogAxis
(which I've extended to draw minor tick marks).
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > If I had to build my own log axis, or in general, adding code to FlexJS
or fixing a bug, is the code written in JS or AS? In other words, what knowledge/prerequisites
does one need to contribute to FlexJS?
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > I also depend heavily on AMF (BlazeDS) and RemoteObject, but I see
some work already going on there (which I'm very grateful for).
> >         >
> >         >>
> >         >>    On August 7, 2017 at 6:03 AM Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com
mailto:harbs.lists@gmail.com > wrote:
> >         >>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>        On Aug 7, 2017, at 2:03 AM, gkk gb <modjklist@comcast.net
mailto:modjklist@comcast.net > wrote:
> >         >>>
> >         >>>        With flash plugin going away, I'll need to port my Flex
application to either Air or FlexJS sometime in the next year or two. I have a couple initial
questions...
> >         >>>
> >         >>>        Q1. My scientific web app is very data centric, with
lots of charts. In particular, I depend heavily on log charts. Does FlexJS support logarithmic
axes? I couldn't find it in the documentation.
> >         >>>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>    Charts are currently not an area where work has been done in
FlexJS. I see two options here:
> >         >>
> >         >>       1. If you find JS chart components which do what you want,
you can probably use them in your project with a thin wrapper. We did this with a color picker.
> >         >>
> >         >>       2. If you have classic Flex chart components, they can likely
be migrated to FlexJS. There are many similar drawing commands.
> >         >>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>        Q2. For new projects, could someone help me understand
the key advantage(s) FlexJS has in the market compared to other technologies such as AngularJS,
ExtJS, etc.? For example, if you're quoting a project to a client, what type of project is
in the sweet spot for using FlexJS rather than the status quo (whatever that is)?
> >         >>>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>    The sweet spot for FlexJS is pretty much the same sweet spot
that Flash had. If you have a single-page web app and you are familiar with Flex and Flash,
I think you would find FlexJS many times more productive than any of the popular JS frameworks
out there.
> >         >>
> >         >>    Before I started with FlexJS, I did quite a bit of work trying
to make Angular work for me. I found it to be a horrible experience. It’s very unintuitive,
hard to organize, slow, very easy to cause minification bugs, minification was difficult.
etc.
> >         >>
> >         >>    React is probably the most popular JS framework today although
Vue.js is giving it a run for the money. Both push declarative code like we have with MXML,
but my personal opinion is that their approaches are more hacky and error prone.
> >         >>
> >         >>    No matter which framework you pick (other than FlexJS), you
will be required to deal with deciding what version of JS you write (or TypeScript). Unless
you write in vanilla JS, you will need to pick a compiler (i.e. Webpack or Babel). You will
need to deal with all the idiosyncrasies of transpiling and minification. You will probably
need to find components that fit your needs and get that to work. You’ll need to write HTML
and CSS directly in addition to your JS code.
> >         >>
> >         >>    The beauty of FlexJS, is that all of that is taken care of you
by the compiler. For the most part, you don’t need to know the intricacies (weirdness?)
of css. You don’t need to figure out exactly which HTML elements and attributes you need.
You don’t need to worry about how to load myriad HTML, CSS and JS files. You don’t need
to worry about combining, trimming and minifying all your dependencies. etc.
> >         >>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>        Q3. What is the goal of FlexJS release 1.0, and when
will it likely occur? Is it expected to be enough to develop a basic, real, app that is robust/bug-free?
> >         >>>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>    We’re working towards 1.0. Exactly which feature warrent being
called “1.0” is a matter of discussion. As far as being enough to build a basic real app?
It’s there already. I have a number of apps I built using FlexJS. Some are panels for InDesign
which are already being used by my clients. Another is a VERY complex web app which will be
going into production soon. It’s a bit bleeding edge, but I’m definitely way more productive
than I would be in any of the standard JS frameworks.
> >         >>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>        Q4. Compared to other HTML technologies, will there
will a lot of maintenance of FlexJS code when browsers get updated, for example, that break
previous code, in the same way that JS/HTML development has today? Flex/Flash plug-in spoiled
me in that regard (maintenance free). Now that the shoe will be on the other foot, so I wonder
what to expect in terms of maintenance; will it be a matter of filing a JIRA bug for example?.
> >         >>>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>    We try very hard to abstract away browser inconsistencies. I
think it’s pretty good, although there are probably some edge cases. This is a problem inherent
in JS development, but FlexJS is likely better than most.