flex-users mailing list archives

From "Krueger, Olaf" <OKrue...@edscha.com>
Subject AW: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:17:11 GMT
Even if I'd really like it if the Flash Player lives forever its EOL Announcement is not a
surprise at the end.
I would have liked a remaining life time a bit more time than just 2 years.
So we have to face the truth: Flash Player is dead.

But this doesn't mean that all our Flex development is useless suddenly.

Let's see the positive things:
There's still AIR as a powerful runtime alternative and maybe it will benefit from FP EOL.
So keep in mind that all our Flex apps are able to survive the loss of the Flash Player, with
less effort.

Most of our development effort is coupled with AS3.
With FlexJS you can reuse your AS3/MXML skills so there's a fair chance to port your apps
to JS/HTML5.
Keep in mind that it is up to each of us how fast FlexJS evolves.

I'm still using Flex, even for new projects. But I always keep the business logic free of
any Flash dependencies and I removed AMF at server side at least.
Going this way I'm still hopeful that a migration to FlexJS could be done with little pain.
(If each Flex component has a counterpart at FlexJS side at least)

No matter if you decide to go with FlexJS or any other JS Framework, there's no guarantee
that the chosen framework will still be there in a couple of years.
One of the main benefits of FlexJS is that is under the Apache hood.
So it's not influenced by the big players, we can even influence it ourselves.

Just my 2 cents,
Olaf

________________________________

Edscha Holding GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Remscheid
Registergericht: Wuppertal, HRB 22889
Geschäftsführung: Francisco J. Riberas Mera, Francisco López Peña, David Vázquez Pascual,
Torsten Greiner, Markus Kirchner, Hans-Peter Schulz und Volker Weiss

Vertretungsberechtigt sind nur Geschäftsführer und schriftlich Bevollmächtigte.

Solely Managing Directors or employees with a written proxy have got power of representation.

Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien ist vertraulich und
nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein,
ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt.
Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail
einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail including any attachments are confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately
and then delete this e-mail including any attachments from your system. Thank you.