flex-users mailing list archives

From "Erik J. Thomas" <e...@linqto.com>
Subject Deep Linking with Flex to Mobile Apps
Date Mon, 15 May 2017 15:51:20 GMT
Hey all:

I need to be able to do various deep linking between mobile apps and my Flex app. I've learned
to do this for twitter and linked in profiles pretty simply:

var u:URLRequest = new URLRequest(data.twitterProfileUrl);
navigateToURL(u, "_blank");

If the twitter app is installed on the phone (at least iOS), this will launch the app. If
the app is not available, it will open the browser and nav to the profile. Very cool stuff.
Works for google maps too, when the user taps an address.

But I need to do the following additional linking and don't know how to format the URLs to
make it happen:

User taps a phone number, dials the phone if the device is a phone.
User taps an email address, and it launches their mail program to send mail. Just need the
syntax for subject, content, additional addresses, etc.
User taps a date/time field, and it launches their mobile calendar app and offers to create
a new item.

My guess is that this is all possible with Flex, but I'm not finding info on syntax and usage
through Google searches. I found this list of device specific deep linking, but expect Flex
has a platform agnostic URL format so we don't have to manage device/OS types in the flex
app.

Just a link to the docs for this type of deep linking would be great. And in the Mobile native
world deep linking is usually about linking mobile apps. In the Flex world the term "deep
linking" is most often referring to browser history management which is NOT what I need.

Thanks!

Erik