flex-users mailing list archives

From DarrenEvans <darren.ev...@allocatesoftware.com>
Subject SOLVED!: Re: Crippling Lag - Windows 10 IE11 - FlashPlayer / IBM ILOG Elixir
Date Thu, 18 May 2017 13:51:11 GMT
SOLVED! (It's a bug in IE 11, but there is a workaround)

So for prosperity I thought I'd share where this ended up.

After much faffing, I managed to get into contact with an Adobe
representative and we started technical liaison. After many emails,
performance logs and videos we got to the bottom of it.

It's a problem localised to IE 11 / Windows 8.1+ and an accessibility bug.
The FlashPlayer implements support for screen readers by traversing the
display list looking for readable text. The larger the list (ours is pretty
damn big) the slower this traversal is.

In Windows 7 and earlier, this accessibility API was only invoked when a
screen reader was attached. IE 11 (we don't know if it's specifically IE 11
or Windows 8.1+) is always invoking this API for every frame. Coupling this
processing with our processing, causes operations like drag and drop to
become unusable.

Accessibility can be turned off (if this is an option for you) using the
following code:

/var accessProps:AccessibilityProperties = new AccessibilityProperties();
accessProps.silent = true;
root.accessibilityProperties = accessProps;
if (Capabilities.hasAccessibility)
    Accessibility.updateProperties();
/

We got caught out when calling this too early, resulting in /root/ being
null intermittently. Best place to call this is when the
FlexEvent.APPLICATION_COMPLETE has been fired.

Apparently Flex, Flash Builder, Flash Pro and Animate CC all have publish
options to enable/disable accessibility as well. However, we use none of
these.

Turning off Accessibility completely sorted the problem for us. Abobe have
raised this with Microsoft as a bug but whether it will be fixed remains to
be seen.