flex-users mailing list archives

From bilbosax <waspenc...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Financial Features in AIR
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2017 02:03:41 GMT
A little discouraging info coming out of this search for licensing.
Sharify.it still has a website up, but I don't think that they are doing
business anymore because when you try and contact them, you get a Server
Error response.  Nitro is still very much in business, but when I contacted
them about licensing, this is the response that I got:

"I would strongly recommend you look at solutions like StormPath or Auth0 or
similar... for your access control and licensing of your AIR application.
AIR is not really something we consider to be an upward trajectory
technology at this point.

Sorry we can't be of more direct help... AIR has fallen off our radar over
the years with expectation to our internal tools and larger customers who we
signed on a few years ago.

NOTE adobe Air is NOT secure -- so consider that in your design --
especially for any local encryption stuff you will be doing..."

I already knew that AIR was not as big as it once was, but when other
companies stop offering services for it, that is when I fear that I made the
wrong choice when writing the application.  On the other hand, so far AIR
has done everything that I need it to do, and it is cross-platform so it was
a great choice for me as a small startup.  I just hope that AIR is
maintained for at least 5 years into the future where I will have more
capital to make other choices if necessary.  Anyway, that still leaves me
with an issue when it comes to licensing my application to users as a
subscription.  I have both a desktop and mobile version so I want people to
be able to sign up once, but be able to move seamlessly from desktop to
tablet to mobile phone out in the field.  I would use the App Store or
Google Play subscription services, but I don't believe that I can extend
those licenses beyond the mobile platform to a desktop application(I am not
sure yet).

So where I am at right now is looking into StormPath.  They only offer an
Authentication Service with user names and passwords, but no billing
services.  After a little more searching, it looks as if you can partner
StormPath with PayPal or other billing services, so this might be a possible
solution for me.

I won't know until Monday what my options are, but if anybody else knows of
any services that I should be looking into to offer subscription use of my
AIR app from desktop to mobile, please let me know.  It would be hugely
appreciated, because I REALLY don't want to have to code this kind of a
backend and be responsible for credit card information, etc.