flex-users mailing list archives

From Josh Tynjala <joshtynj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Chrome's latest on Flash
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:39:19 GMT
Google has not announced that they will completely remove Flash Player from
Chrome. They have a roadmap (https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap), and
this is what it says:

We will continue to ship Flash Player with Chrome, and if a site truly
> requires Flash, a prompt will appear at the top of the page when the user
> first visits that site, giving them the option of allowing it to run for
> that site

Between now and October 2017, Chrome will increase the number of websites
where they force HTML by default. When a website defaults to HTML, but it
requires Flash Player, a prompt will ask the user if they want to allow
Flash Player. Once they have allowed Flash Player on a website, they won't
be asked again for the same website. After October 2017, all websites will
be HTML by default in Chrome, but users will still be able to enable Flash
Player.

Here is a mockup of what the experience will be like when your site is
forced to HTML by default:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/106_KLNJfwb9L-1hVVa4i29aw1YXUy9qFX-Ye4kvJj-4/edit#slide=id.g1270f83468_0_12

As you can see, if your site displays a fallback message when a user
doesn't have Flash Player installed, that's what Chrome users will start to
see. In my opinion, it might be smart to display a different message for
Chrome users that tells them to "enable" or "allow" Flash Player instead of
"install" it.

- Josh