flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Scout - What does this mean?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2016 06:19:54 GMT
The two screen grabs seem to be from different samples.  Looks like in the
first one, 13 renderers are created, in the other, 14.
Are all 13 or 14 renderers visible?

Looking at the first screen shot, there is a big drop in the cumulative
time at LayoutManager.doPhasedInstantiation.  That means that the screen
grab does not show the rest of the cumulative time which is probably in
LayoutManager.validateSize and/or LayoutManager.validateProperties.
Knowing what is going on there might help.

There is another drop in DataGroup.getVirtualElementAt so it might be
useful to know what is going on in there.

And it appears that there is a lot of work instantiating the
CurrencyFormatter.  Is there a way to share a single instance and
instantiate that CurrencyFormatter sooner rather than later?

Finally, sometimes when the UI is too slow, you have to resort to trickery
instead of trying to find speed.  Magicians and theater directors are
masters at this.  They use distraction and other techniques to make people
think something interesting is happening while the true work is being
done.  Even putting up a busy cursor can help, but a fancier "animation"
might be more interesting.

For example, if you are sure that the first 3 renderers will be read 90%
of the time, just put up 3 renderers, then add more renderers over time.
You could add 2 per second after the first 3 and folks may not notice.
Similarly, if some "columns" of labels are less important, create them
later as well.  They can pop in a few per frame and it might actually look
"cool".

HTH,
-Alex