flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Scout - What does this mean?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2016 05:36:39 GMT

On 11/20/16, 11:30 AM, "bilbosax" <waspence41@comcast.net> wrote:

>This is an interesting point regarding instantiation.  My thinking was
>that
>if I instantiated the component, even if it was offscreen, that it would
>transition more quickly and smoothly onto the screen because it was
>already
>created and waiting for my instructions.  I thought that memory would be
>the
>only price, but that was a good tradeoff to get the performance that I
>wanted.  Is this thinking wrong?

There are only so many CPU cycles for you to use.  Probably fewer on the
tablet than on your desktop.  If the desktop is twice as fast, and takes
1000ms, it will take 2000ms on the tablet.

The profiler will show you if you have periods where the CPU is idle.  If
so, then you can try to leverage those cycles.

In general, don't create something just-in-case.  Off-screen widgets are
often just-in-case and can be created "later".  Maybe not if you need them
for a transition right away, but then, maybe you are just trying to do too
much.

-Alex