flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Scout - What does this mean?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2016 21:48:54 GMT

On 11/18/16, 11:59 AM, "bilbosax" <waspence41@comcast.net> wrote:

>1) Would an actionscript itemrenderer make a noticeable difference? I am a
>little daunted to try it because I never have, and you already know that I
>have 30 labels and radiobutton and I know there will be a lot of
>overrides.
>But if you believe it will make a significant improvement, I could give
>it a
>try.

IMO, it is best to work from data.  Run Scout again, and look at the top
20 or so hot spots.  If we see MXML overhead in there, then we can
recommend switching from MXML to AS.

You could also instrument your code to get other data, such as how many
renderers are being created.  If there are more renderers being created on
the "larger" tablet screen and the tablet is slower than your desktop,
that's going to hurt.

My bet is you are simply creating too many display objects.  One way to
create fewer display objects is to use one multi-line label instead of a
vertically-aligned stack of labels (and switch to mx:Label instead of
s:Label).  You may not be able to exactly pixel-control the y value of
each line, but it might be worth it in terms of performance.  You could
also test out using tabstops in TextFields if you want to have one
TextField per item renderer to show the table of data.

A sample app would help, as Clint suggests.  You could also write some
test apps and run them yourself just to see how long it takes to create
some number of renderers on your tablet vs desktop.

HTH,
-Alex