flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Get mouse coordinates on high speed
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 17:26:45 GMT

On 10/5/16, 10:17 AM, "Jason Taylor" <jason@dedoose.com> wrote:

>can't you just up the frame per second of the swf to say 60, and if
>needed interpolate data points to smooth it?

That is a possibility, but the interpolation code may also affect input
rate.

AIUI, input events are not tied to frame rate.  Screen updates may be tied
to frame rate, but you can use updateAfterEvent to force a screen update
on each mouse event.  But if the update has too much work to do, forcing
an update on every mouse event might slow the rate at which the player can
respond to the next event.

That's why it is important to understand what is going on at the lower
level.  Do events get dropped or just queued up?  Or is the next event
generated by sampling when the runtime is ready?  Once you understand if
it is possible to get accurate events at a higher rate from the low-level,
you can try to tune the application to allow for that higher rate.  If
events get queued, you have the option of "catching up" instead of
"keeping up".  If they get dropped or sampled when ready, you have to keep
up.

HTH,
-Alex