flex-users mailing list archives

From OK <p...@olafkrueger.net>
Subject Re: Release Build Performance on Mobile
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2016 06:24:53 GMT
Hi,
this is not an answer to your question but maybe it is still helpful:

No matter if you're using a mobile device or desktop, having too many
columns might be a bad user expericence and not very ergonomic for the
users.
E.g. if you have over 50 columns and hundreds or thousands of rows I don't
think that anybody is able to get the needed information in a adaquate time.
Paging, vertical and horizontal scrolling could be very painful even if the
performance is bad.
Instead of polluting the screen with to much information it might be a good
idea to extract just the important things. You could give the users the
posibility to e.g. filter the data by custom filters or you could provide
different views of the data depending of its context.

Technically I often tend to replace the datagrid by a list with a proper
(material design inspired) item renderer.
It seems to me that the list is much more performant than the datagrid even
by using item renderers.
In the back I'm using ElasticSearch that places you in the position to
filter, sort, aggregate, analyze,... your data in near realtime so there's
no need to implement this by yourself on client side.

So, if you've the chance to influence your UI decisions, give it a try and
refactor it ;-)

HTH,
Olaf