flex-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Webster <dwebs...@yahoo.com.au.INVALID>
Subject Re: Downloading Large Amounts of Data from Database
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2016 05:01:58 GMT
Hi Bill,
Not sure how much this will help but you can reduce the size of the meta data or variable
names being transferred.On the server side when preparing the data to return to the client
(or via SQL aliases), you can change all of the variable names in each row to something very
short instead (e.g. "first_name" becomes "fn", "comment" becomes "cm" etc). This can really
reduce the amount of data returned, especially if there are a lot of columns.Or, return each
row as an indexed array only so there are no variable names at all to transfer along with
the data.In the client you will then have to map them back to the original names.
I have a habit of returning the same database column names as the variable names but I try
to rename/alias them if I have time.

Here's an example in json:

[    {"id": 1, "person_name": "Jim", "address": "123 test road"},    {"id": 2, "person_name":
"Phil", "address": "63 test road"}]
(141 bytes)

now becomes
[    {"id": 1, "pn": "Jim", "ad": "123 test road"},    {"id": 2, "pn": "Phil", "ad":
"63 test road"}](111 bytes ~ 22% reduction)

Daniel