flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Downloading Large Amounts of Data from Database
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2016 04:37:46 GMT

On 8/27/16, 6:11 PM, "bilbosax" <waspence41@comcast.net> wrote:

>If I compress the datastream coming from my database, do I have to somehow
>decompress it in my AIR application, or does that happen automatically?

Have you proven it is the download that is the problem as opposed to
deserialization?  Otherwise you are trying to solve the wrong problem.
AIUI, server data is delivered asynchronously and does not take up the
main thread while the bytes are coming down over the network.  Then, once
all of the bytes have arrived, there might be a conversion of the bits to
XML which should be in C code and pretty fast., or for RemoteObject, there
will be a deserialization/conversion to the classes.  Then an
Event.COMPLETE event is fired and for non-RemoteObjects, Flex apps
generally do other deserialization then.  It is this latter
deserialization that was the culprit in a few apps I've had to
troubleshoot.  I've never seen the delivery of the bytes over the network
be the cause of a hung player.  Compression of the bytes can reduce
bandwidth and thus the delay before the users gets to see the data, but I
don't think it prevent ActionScript from running.

My 2 cents,
-Alex