flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Loading Multiple images
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2016 17:07:04 GMT
To be clear, I don't have a budget to pay you to work on FlexJS.  What I'm
saying is that, while you have to find someone to pay you, if you are on
the leading edge of a growing technology, you have a better chance of
finding someone to pay you.  Unfortunately, the only way to become
proficient at FlexJS right now, if you don't already have an employer, is
to jump into using and writing the code for no pay in hopes that you will
learn, make the technology better and then a customer will pay you for
your knowledge and ability.  Recently, I was contacted by a company in
Europe who probably would have hired someone who really knew FlexJS for a
month or two to assess the effort of porting their Flex app to FlexJS.
I'm not allowed to do such work right now because I am a full-time Adobe
employee, so all I could do was recommend that the company contact folks
they see on our mailing lists and see if they can help.  Will there be
another opportunity like that?  Don't know but sure hope so.  And folks
who have truly learned FlexJS under the hood are more likely to get my
recommendation.

So for you, it would be a gamble.  You wouldn't get paid until you can
learn enough and do enough to convince someone else besides me to hire you.

In the interim, it isn't clear why you are having trouble finding
employment.  I know plenty of people of all shapes and sizes who are doing
ok in this industry.  It might have to do with your ability to see value
in yourself and negotiate proper pay.  You might try a company like
TekSystems (https://www.teksystems.com/en) to help be your "agent" in
finding employment.  I haven't worked with them myself, but they help
sponsor a Seattle MeetUp so that's how I know about them.

HTH,
-Alex